Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2014

How to Travel with Food Allergies

Food allergies can quickly turn a fun trip into a trip filled with agonizing stomach cramps or worse, trips to the hospital. Many times, countries are known for their delectable cuisine, and how disappointing can it be to order food at a restaurant and it contains what you are allergic to. I am allergic to all dairy products (whey and casein) so I CANNOT eat any sort of milk product. I will not go into anaphalactic shock, but I will be sick to my stomach in bed, get hives on my legs, and I'll withhold the rest of the gruesome details!

If you have food allergies, doing research ahead of time about the cuisine of the country you intend to visit is a must (admit it, you already do that at home before going to a restaurant and before buying anything at the grocery store). Asian countries are pretty safe, since milk products are not an integral part of the cuisine. Western countries are another story, especially EU countries, the United States (need I include that?), and other western-influenced countries.  Once I have researched some staple dishes, I translate all of the allergens (for me: cheese, milk, dairy, cream) into the native language to stress to the waiter, "NO formaggio!" (means no cheese in Italian!). Trevor is very patient with my ridiculous ordering habits at restaurants because I repeat myself several times to make sure the waiter understands me. Every time I don't do this, a milk product somehow finds its way onto my plate (ugh!) and not all cultures are receptive to sending food back.

Just as the rule applies at home, when in doubt, do NOT eat it! On flights I have learned….just buy something at the airport or take easy to pack snacks. It was a long flight from Houston to Tokyo with very little food I could eat from the meals on the plane. Trevor enjoys eating my leftovers though, so nothing goes to waste! Trevor, all I want to say is, "Please Read Below!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors