Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

How to Pack for a 2 Week Trip in a BackPack

Many of my girlfriends' jaws drop when I tell them I only pack a backpack when I travel. Well, when you have had the experience of lugging around a giant 70 lb. bag for three weeks up and and down the stairs, in and out of trains, you learn your lesson. I took a three week guided tour through EF Tours with my high school history teacher and a group of about 20 kids when I was 18. Unfortunately, I had packed a GIANT bag full of clothes and shoes I did not use. I almost missed an overnight train from Paris to Lucerne, Switzerland because I was trying to shove the darn thing in the small doorway of the train car! Never again!

A friend suggested for me to take old underclothes/t-shirts/bedclothes to leave at the hotels to make room for souvenirs.  I continue to do this, however, I do not wear old t-shirts and shorts/skirts anymore. I feel it makes me stick out even more as a tourist, and this may make me a target to pickpockets.  Trevor and I both have Ebags backpacks that are large enough to pack everything you need, but they fit the necessary measurements for Carry-On luggage.  Check them out here! My packing staples include (these stay in my backpack for EVERY trip):


  • Medicine/First Aid Pouch (little zip pouch that has Pepto, Tylenol, Allergy Meds, Immodium, etc.)
  • Rain Jacket/Umbrella
  • Hygiene: Travel size brush (foldable), shampoo/conditioner, travel size toothbrush
  • Hiking Boots/ Light Weight Running Shoes
  • Reusable Water Bottle (EMPTY for plane ride)
  • Bathing Suit
  • Hand towel (for drying yourself while staying in hostels, full size bath towel is a waste of precious space!)
  • Puzzle Book/Mini Chess Set/Journal/Pen
  • Light Cardigan Sweater
  • Make-up essentials (sample size mascara, concealer, eyeliner, MAC 4 pack eyeshadow)
  • Drawstring Bag for Day Hikes or Souvenirs
For warm climates, I have invested in some light weight, printed dresses that do not look horrible wrinkled! I normally wear my hiking boots/lightweight running shoes paired with the dresses because of the amount of walking we normally do. The dresses make you look great in pictures, however, ask people not to include your feet in the picture unless they must! I take one pair of cute flip flops/sandals and ballet flats for nights out on the town. 



Climbing Up the Duomo in Florence, Italy. White Cotton Dress
Restaurant in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Tribal Printed Dress

For cool/cold climates, I bring a hip length pea coat and a North Face pull over sweater. I bring Dry-Fit Long Sleeved shirts to layer underneath. For bottoms, I pack one pair of jeans and Yoga Pants/Leggings. Remember, you can always take off layers, but you can't add them if you don't bring them!! It's all about the layers!!!


Sydney Harbor Ferry. North Face Fleece Pull Over.
Dry-Fit Long-sleeved Layer Piece.

You must accept the fact that you WILL be wearing some of the clothes several times, however, who cares if you are traveling to different cities! Find laundry services that will do the laundry/fold clothes within the day for you, so you don't waste a whole day sitting in a laundromat. To keep clothes fresh, pack a Ziploc Baggie of dryer sheets and layer them in between clothes as you wear them. Washing underclothes in the sink is also a wise idea if needed.

Now let's get into beauty. On a daily basis I do not wear make-up, however, on trips when lots of pictures are taken I will. I take the bare minimum because I need the room for clothing. I went to a MAC counter, told the artist my goal (need eyeshadow to travel that I can wear at night or during the day). The artist put together a palette of 4 colors (costly, BUT well worth it); two for the daytime and two to add on for nighttime. My priority is to experience the country I traveled so far to visit, so I try to keep my beauty regiment to 10 minutes or under. My hair is a mix of curly/wavy frizz, and I do not take a hair dryer or straightener. Yikes! What to do? Luckily, hair accessories and braids are back in style! Start pinning cute head bands and braided hair styles on Pinterest that don't take too long and can be done without a mirror (I have learned to french braid my own hair). Make sure to pack lots of bobby pins! 

There are several opinions about how to pack everything to save the most space, such as rolling each clothing item. I have found that folding the clothes once in half (for example, dresses at the waist) or laying the items flat works for me. I put all shoes in the first layer, which makes the backpack more sturdy against your back. Then the clothes go in. Pack your underwear towards the top edge of the bag (when you put it right side up, there will be space), just in case your travel time takes longer than expected. It helps to flip the bag right side up to make more space if needed, but be aware your clothes will get wrinkled if they shift. 

Also, leave room for souvenirs! You want to avoid looking like me in this picture! This happened once, and never happened again! It was so heavy!!

Yes, it is wider than I am….Big Mistake!

Do you have any tips for packing in a backpack? Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors