Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

"But I Don't Wanna!"

When I was in sixth grade, I overheard my mom tell my teacher I was very hard-headed (What on Earth did I do, Mom?!). Today, my husband comments that I am "so hard-headed." Okay fine. I'll admit it. I'm hardheaded ok? (See Trevor, I admitted it!)

During the whole process of planning the Alaska trip, I have come up with some AWESOME, rational excuses (eye rolls from Trevor) for me NOT to go.

"I've never been backcountry backpacking or camping. I've never been camping, for that matter, only "glamping" (glamorous camping). I'll hold you back. I can't go to high elevations because I'll get altitude sickness from my asthma. I travel to meet new people, not stay with the same people. I would rather be in Brazil for the FIFA World Cup Final (so much partying by so many cultures!) I'll be on my period (ok I was getting desperate people!)." And my mouth kept runnin' runnin' and runnin' runnin' (sing to tune of Black Eyed Peas song).

The whole past week I have woken up, gasping with beads of sweat on my forehead from the same "bear attack" dreams. I have very little background knowledge of the great outdoors (unless it has to do with the beach, but I mean mountainous landscaping). It is a foreign world, unbeknownst to me. I'm scared, nervous, anxious, and apprehensive about this camping trip in Alaska. 

I've been pretty stubborn about not getting excited about the trip. I've avoided the long Facebook message chain. I've refused to research the places we are going. I DO NOT WANT TO GO!!

But now that I'm sitting on the plane, looking out over majestic snow-capped mountains, my wall of stubbornness is starting to crack! The corners of my mouth are starting to curl upwards, my eyes are widening in awe, and my brow is beginning to unfurl. Shall I admit I'm starting to get excited?

At our parting, my father-in-law reflected, "Make this trip unforgettable because in the future your children may never see or experience such a vast wilderness." GULP. Ok fine. I AM EXCITED!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors