Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Communication Help

We were asked a question about how to keep in contact with home while travelling abroad. Us millennials love to keep in contact with friends and family and let them know every detail (this blog is a perfect example).  Here is my take on ways to keep connected:

First, most Americans are given 2 weeks (10 days) of vacation in the beginning years of work. Using local cellular services may be appropriate for extended stays, like spending a summer hosting pub crawls in one of Europe’s fine cities. Using local services depends on the country and the provider. Plans can be as simple or complex as you want, using voice, text, or data. This involves exchanging SIM Card. We personally have never done this and most likely will not. Europe, for example, has numerous other outlets, which I will cover.

Before smart phones, it was common to buy “International Phones.” In my opinion, these are useless. I got suckered into one when I traveled to Europe in the summer of 2010 (before I had a smart phone). I was sent a new phone which I had to relearn, and I think I sent 5 text messages over the 2 weeks. There are plenty other more efficient options.

Wifi is becoming more and more prevalent in the world. More accessibility usually leads to less expense for this commodity. I like my phone, I know all of the short cuts, and have all my emergency contacts already programed. Paid Wifi networks are something I may look into for an extended trip. I have only researched Boingo for European travel. According to their website, $8/month gets you wifi for 2 devices (tablets are on the rise) and also have a plan for those who bring laptops. ComfortWay has a similar idea, but uses hotspot devices at $.09/MB. It is another device (~$100 for device) you have to look after, but I hear it is reliable service.

Actual convo with my Mom
using WhatsApp
Now for the easiest option.  Like mentioned, smart phones and an abundance of cafés that support free Wifi connections make life simple. I was introduced to WhatsApp after I got my first smart phone in 2012. I did some work in Mexico, which worried my mother. My trips were 2 to 3 days, so I figured to give this app a try. I have never tried the phone call feature and have had no reason to because of the text feature of the app. Now I use this app coupled with free wifi and I can personally text family and friends and post statuses and photos to social media all from my familiar phone.  I've heard Viber does the same thing as WhatsApp, but I've never used it. I do not have a iPhone, but have also heard FaceTime works internationally. Gmail also allows messaging using smart phones.


Please go with what is comfortable with your needs. If you have any questions, leave a comment or E-mail us at 10centtravels@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors